R-03 FILM EXTRACT
 
R-03 FILM EXTRACT: Keeley Moore's evaluation of film sequence
Tuesday 3 March 2009
Keeley Moore's evaluation of film sequence
Evaluation of Film Sequence
First of we discussed some ideas that we had and then chose the most suitable one for the time and tools we had available to us, briefly this was: About a teenage boy trying to make contact with the aliens that he believed took his dad, when in reality his dad just left on bonfire night and the boy watched so many of his fathers old alien films and documentaries that he made himself believe that his father s truly been taken by aliens.
Then when we started creating our film sequence we had to firstly choose our roles, mine was Film editor, we didn’t have a director so all three of us shared this role as well as doing our main role. We had to choose a genre, we decided upon a low budget British drama, this influenced our decisions on the plot and editing. It influenced our plot by giving us the opportunity to film more or less realistic British life, this lead us on to deciding what props costumes and location to use. This influenced my editing because in a low budget drama there is not going to be may if any complex special effects, so I should not use any complex special effects either, otherwise it would not follow the conventions of a typical low budget British drama.
I helped develop the narrative using my editing skill, by sorting out all the footage we filmed putting it in the correct order so it all flows from shot to shot well and each shot works well with the last. I did this by, after finding the correct points to start and finish each shot cutting rearranging them, so it flows from the shot and makes sense to continue to the next shot type and angle.
We had to adapt and change our sequence when editing it because we where over the time limit by a lot, so I had to discus which shots to leave in and which to take away while overall keeping our narrative the same. Also when we where out filming our sequence we slightly changed our narrative to include the boy putting his radio into the tree to attempted to gain some signal from a high vantage point.
I wanted to edit the sequence to run smoothly so the audience feels like they are not just watching a screen but they are there and really saw this sequence happen, and feel involved with the boy instead of him just being the object of amusement/pity for the duration of our sequence
The feedback I received for the editing was overall positive, they commented on the majority of cuts being good and fitted together well. Especially on the match on action cuts for example, the shot of the boy walking into some trees then cutting to a different angle from behind the trees and watching him continue to walk into the trees from the same spot. This tells me that my placements of each shot and section of shots where overall good decisions. However they also said about the length of a few shots being too long, for example the shot after the boy has fallen of his bike and gets up to walk down the road. I made this shot pass faster by using a series of fades in and out this is called a time lapse, however I could not of cut this shot out or shorted it even more due to the fact that then the narrative would not be able to easily continue, without having a separate shot of the boy walking down the road. This tells me the decision I made to keep the whole shot instead of perhaps shortening that scene was not an accurate one.
My technical skills helped me edit our sequence because I knew the basic functions and tools of the programme we had to use, which was final cut. They also helped me when I had finished sorting and organising all of the footage, because we where over the max length limit by a lot. So I had to use my technical skills to shorten the sequence while enough while making sure that the narrative stays the same and continues to make sense. However they also hindered me because I did not know how to use many of the more advanced functions of final cut, also if I had more practice with it I would have been able to go a lot faster this would have enabled me to spend more time fine tuning and tweaking the sequence.

Labels:

posted by AS Film Studies Students @ 07:04  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
Recent Posts
Post Archive
Post Labels
All FILM EXTRACT Blogs